Saturday 2 February 2008

Korean Food 201: Sam Gyeop Shal


삼겹살, Sam Gyop Shal, which loosley translates to '3 layer pork belly' is hands down my favorite Korean dish. Essentially, you sit down in a SamGyeopShal joint and your table has a grill in it, you fire it up and they bring you all sorts of vegtables, kimchi, peppers, cut garlic, turnips, lettuce, a wide assortment of sauces and most importantly a big slab of what I equate to be thick bacon.
You grill everything on the table. Mixing and matching and expierementing until you find the perfect combo. Sometimes you can dip a piece of meet in BBQ sauce and let it slow cook on the edge of the grill, or you can baste a piece of meat with some Korean hot sauce or miso paste. Or you can just eat it like it's a piece of bacon. Personally, I like to dip a piece of pork in spicy miso and set a piece of grilled garlic on it once I've flipped it. Then I'll put it on a piece of grilled KimChi, and dab some BBQ sauce on it. Since it's right off the grill, and still piping hot, I'll wrap it in a piece of the fresh lettuce that they bring you. Then all at once I pop it in my mouth. The taste is like nothing I can even compare to in the US. And if you go to one of the local places, you can feed 3 people for about $10 American. The real challenge is being able to do everything I just described using chopsticks.

No comments: